Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Social networking and Facebook

Have been reading about these and have been interested by the fact that they don't follow the traditional business model. In the traditional model the supplier and consumer have separate and distinct roles, but with social networking the people who join up are both the consumers and providers of the content. The privacy issues also concern me, especially after further reading about them.

Some time ago my partner joined Facebook and encouraged me to do the same. I joined up, but didn't do much with it. (Contrary to Andrew, who became addicted to Facebook games such as Farmville and Mafia wars !)

I received quite a number of friendship requests after I joined up (many of which I turned down (because I didn't know who they were!), but it was really interesting recently to get messages from two people I have not seen for many years and who now live overseas.

Having that contact, seeing their photos/information has really brought them a lot closer and that has been great. I can see now why people like doing this but I don't think I will be using it as frequently and heavily as many of our young people.

I am still very cautious about putting information about myself "out there." (Some of the quizzes are rather funny, but I would prefer to use my precious time doing other things.)

I clicked on Sam's invitation to join Ning and found to my embarrassment that my invitation had "expired." Better get round to things a bit quicker, obviously !

No comments:

Post a Comment